Just thought I would post a message to everyone that feels like they are on a roller coaster, good one week bad the next. It is a post for those mainly that feel they are moving forward but tend to hit a bad day or period when they think they are back to square one again.

I also went through this myself but in time learned to accept the day whatever it brought, again here is something I once wrote on the subject.

Really hope some of you get something out of this post.

Take care

Paul

Recovery can be a roller coaster

I always feel it important to let people know that when they are on the road to recovery, it can be a bit of an up and down affair. Sometimes I would think that I had taken one step forward only to take two steps backward. Here are some off the mistakes I made, so hopefully you can avoid them. Some you may come across in recovery, some you may not, but I have included them just in case you do.

I felt so good yesterday, why do I feel so bad today?

It's often said that recovery means taking two steps forward and one step back, which is basically the way the body recovers. It takes a little patience to allow for this adjustment, but is well worth it.

This is why it is imperative to accept how you feel at any given time. Full acceptance will enable you to sail through any day and any period of time.
Eventually you will awaken and a day is just a day, with few ups and downs. It will happen once you take that step back and allow your body to find its own sense of balance.

It’s funny, isn’t it, how I was always able to accept the good days and not question them, but as soon as I had a bad day, I was back to square one, repeating those old mistakes and believing that there must be something wrong!

I also learnt that when I had a good day I expected the following day to be the same, almost putting pressure on myself to make sure it would be. I was constantly watching myself, trying to hold on to how I felt, worrying that if I let go, the good feelings would be gone forever, Well they won’t. Good days come and bad days come, and you need to accept this. Don’t waste time trying to work out why, like I did. Don’t think you are back to square one and start with all the self-pity again. Don’t hold back on your goal of achieving recovery by not accepting how you feel at any particular time. It is not important how you feel at any given time just learn to move on and not try to work any of it out, the next good day will just be around the corner.