Thread: Breathlessness on Propranolol

Breathlessness on Propranolol

I've been taking Propranolol for 3 weeks now & the first week was great but the past 2 weeks my chest has felt quite tight & I feel a bit breathless & dizzy. I do have an inhaler but I've not been diagnosed as asthmatic, I only use it really hot days when you feel like you can;t breathe or when it;s dusty as this seems to irritate my chest. I haven't used it at all while I've been taking Propranolol though!
    I've noticed this is worse at work, I don't tend to think about it at home.

Do these completely block out the anxiety as sometimes I do feel on the verge of an attack. I also suffer from health anxiety & so anything sets me off so is this in my head???

I think these tablets are good in the fact that they stop me shaking & sweating & slow my heart down but not with the emotional side of things.
    I am still panicking in my head!

Any replies would be appreciated

Emily xxx

Re: Breathlessness on Propranolol

I would recommend asking your doctor about the chest tightness. It could be anxiety related but my doctor asked me 3 times about asthma or wheezing so it's important you get checked out.

You need to see your doctor. Propranolol can cause worsening of asthma. - It is a caution when being prescribed. There are 2 other beta blockers which have less effect on breathing. I would recommend you speak to your doctor.

I started on Prop. despite having asthma and had to stop it as i was more wheezy. Dan, I'd like to know what the other beta blockers are? Cathy x

I'm asthmatic and started on just 10mg a day. After one pill I could hardly breathe and felt like I was going to faint. I decided to sleep it off (never slept so well in my life), and never took another pill again due to how much it restricted my breathing.

You should speak to your doctor again as this could be a very serious problem. You may be fine if it's only slight, but there may be other medication which your doctor could give you.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Just so you know, the OP is a year old & Emily won't be replying any time soon.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Thread Information