Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Major Panic Attacks Starting Citalopram 40mg

Major Panic Attacks Starting Citalopram 40mg

hi, i suffer from anxiety and recently split with my ex and had a breakdown so doctor tried sertraline for a week but it made me have terrible migraines so he swapped me over to citalopram (which i used to take in the past up to 60mg but was started at a lower dose).

Now, since ive started 40mg 3 days ago and i am getting major panic attacks like i cant breathe, walls closing in on me and extremely tearful. im getting very scared. anyone had symptoms like these please?

thanks x
    Last edited by nayia; 26-07-12 at 20:35. Reason: incorrect spelling

Re: Major Panic Attacks Starting Citalopram 40mg

In my opinion the dose is way to high to start on and 40 is the MAXIMUM dose they prescribe.

You need to start on a lower dose but this would have to be discussed with your GP

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

thank you, nicola.

im assuming ive been put this high due to the state that i am currently in. do these side effects last a long time?

They can last from a few days to a few weeks or more - everyone is different on it.

I still think you would be better on a lower dose though

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

thanks, i will refer back to my gp. :-)

I know a GP knows better than me but I have read a lot of posts about this medication and I think you would be better on a lower dose to start with.

You GP may not take kindly to someone running a website saying this though so be careful how you handle it lol

Hi
    I agree with the above my GP started me off on 10mg of Citalopram,and then increased it to 20mg,40mg does sound an awfully high dose to start on,perhaps 20mg would be better my GP also prescribed me Diazapam as and when to get me over any rough times,but since i have been on the 20mg of Citalopram have not needed to take any .

Perhaps if you are really bad you need to discuss possible other options with your GP perhaps even a small course of Diazapam would help whilst the Citalopram is starting to work.

Everybody is different but it worked for me.

Good Luck Richard.

Id definately agree with Nic here ..I started on 10mg and it was awful ..40mg is far too high for a starting dose .Some are started on 10mg or 20mg .No wonder you feel so awful ..Hope you get it sorted with Dr ..Let us know .t/c Sue xx

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Yikes... Never heard anyone being started on the max dose before. Very unorthodox but hope you get through it. Perhaps if SEs persist, you should ask your doc to reduce it to 10 or 20mg.

Never Surrender, Comrade

wow, you're all saying the same thing. no wonder i am feeling so utterly awful. it's bad enough dealing with the numbness of the breakup and having this on top. i cant tell if it's the breakup now or the pills making me feel so terrible xxxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information