Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Anyone get flustered whilst in the supermarket?!

Re: Anyone get flustered whilst in the supermarket?!

I've heard that claustrophobia and agoraphobia can go hand in hand...can't suffer one without the other so to speak, and that's so true with me. I hate being in small spaces, but equally don't like the vastness of a large supermarket. Its not the social side of it for me though, I can usually cope ok with people around me or talking to me, but I panic in a crowd or on a packed train or bus etc, and have to be the first or last person out of a cinema because I can't cope with being part of the crowd shuffling towards the exits at the end of the film! So the shopping experience is ok and the checkout etc...I just hate the idea that i'm in such a huge place with nowhere to escape to if something happened and my anx and fears are all about some disaster about to happen and i'll be trapped. So I always make sure I know where all the emergency exits are

While I don't get anxious in crowded places, I do tend to get irritated and can't wait to get out (perhaps it is a touch of fight or flight). My heart sinks when I see long lines as well but I believe it just stems from my dislike of waiting and general impatience. I tend to go to markets and stores at times when they're not crowded as a rule. I kinda like having the aisles to myself if you know what I mean.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

It definitely has a lot to do with the lighting and I'm willing to bet that people who don't actually suffer from anxiety have uncomfortable feelings they can't quite put their finger on in some shops and supermarkets.

I find that the M&S at Westfield Shepherd's Bush has an odd "atmosphere" to it and I go in there a lot.

I hate supermarkets so much. I've cried at checkouts, sworn at self service aisles and been followed by security guards for looking nervous. I miss green grocers. I wish we just had small local shops like when I was a kid. I don't mean newsagents and mini marts where you're lucky if you can find an onion or a mouldy carrot that's been there for 3 weeks. I mean real, proper fruit and veg shops.

Supermarkets give me trolley rage!

Happens with me too, try and get most my shopping online for home delivery through Tesco, asda, poundhshop.com, amazon ect but if need to go to a shop I try to pick a time its most likely to not be full....

Quote Originally Posted by Brunette View Post
    It definitely has a lot to do with the lighting and I'm willing to bet that people who don't actually suffer from anxiety have uncomfortable feelings they can't quite put their finger on in some shops and supermarkets.

I find that the M&S at Westfield Shepherd's Bush has an odd "atmosphere" to it and I go in there a lot.
    I agree the lighting in a supermarket plays a part in panic attacks. I thought it was just me that felt like this! I have always found supermarkets to be way too bright and it makes you feel more panicky because when you are in the middle of an attack, your vision goes funny anyway without adding bright lights into and it also feels like there is a spotlight on you and people are going to be more likely to see you panic which in turn, makes you panic more.

"Save your sympathy for someone else. I don't need it or want it. What you call a panic attack is merely a few normal chemicals that are temporarily out of place in my brain. It is of no significance whatsoever to me!"

"Recovery always lies ahead - however painful the moment"

"Recovery lies in the places and experiences you avoid"

Dr Claire Weekes.

Quote Originally Posted by Round in circles View Post
    I hate supermarkets so much. I've cried at checkouts, sworn at self service aisles and been followed by security guards for looking nervous. I miss green grocers. I wish we just had small local shops like when I was a kid. I don't mean newsagents and mini marts where you're lucky if you can find an onion or a mouldy carrot that's been there for 3 weeks. I mean real, proper fruit and veg shops.

Supermarkets give me trolley rage!
    Have you been in smaller like Aldi or Lidl? They are more relaxed in may area with far less people in.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Have you been in smaller like Aldi or Lidl? They are more relaxed in may area with far less people in.
    I haven't tried either of those. I have a hard time with public transport, and my local supermarket is in walking distance. I'm not too sure I could cope with anything further away.

I have issues with supermarket shopping.

Can anyone remember supermarket sweep hosted by Dale Winton? It reminds me of this because I have to be in and out quickly. If I see a few people waiting at the tills I start to panic. Why? I cant explain it but I agree with others who raise the issue of lighting.

I also agree on the use of quieter shops like Lidl and Aldi (although my local Lidl has around 6 tills and a maximum of two staff serving at any one time, so que's start to form). I usually try to walk by the tills and if there is a line forming, I walk on around the shop again until it quietens down.

James

I am the same but it's weird as I work in one.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread Information