Try this, gentlemen, IT DOES WORK!

PH, take a look at your posts. In them you will find that even in your writing your obsession prevails. Take it easy, quit averting your focus. You say that when you stop meditating then the spit stops which is why I mention to observe the whole process of salivation to swallowing without judging your self, the act or any thing else. Take a step back and allow your self to examine your mind while you are in your meditative practice. Quit giving in to the easy way of condemning your self for not doing things the you think they should be done.

Don't listen to what you are thinking, only observe and let it go. Don't give into the condemnation of your mind/body, just observe. Don't force your self to stop or take extreme measures to conform, just observe. Quit reacting to your swallowing and act by observing the swallowing. Breathe, observe. Feel, Don't judge/lable, breathe. Work to control your mind, don't let the mind control your work.

I had to giggle when I read this PH, it's weird but in a funny way.

First off, definately give Friend's suggestion a try, it really works.

Second and most importantly; You're obsessing and reacting and losing focus in your meditation. If you really want to get to the root of the swallowing then search for the cause. I suggest using a vipassianic method of observation.

Instead of sitting there freaking out about swallowing (OMG I swallowed, I'm swallowing again, I've just swallowed, did anyone hear me swallow? Etc.), just sit there and observe the swallowing, observe the feeling of the entire process of swallowing. Don't lable, don't judge (especially your self), don't give any part of the swallowing process a name. Put your attention in your mouth or on your tongue or that part that is salivating and just feel it. Observe the sensation in your mouth, observe the process of tongue movements, observe the process of throat constriction and then observe your mind in this process. If it helps, visualize watching your self but maintain the non-judgment and non-lableing. Here's the real mind bender: Think about what you are thinking and try to realize how it contributes to the constant desire to swallow.

Often, by confronting a behavior with an equanimous mind we can discover why we engage in such a behavior which in turns helps to allay that behavior. Also understand that you are experiencing Aversion. That aversion is leading you down an emotionally/psychologically reactive path; forcing your self to stop is part of the aversion. The question is, why are you swallowing so much it hurts? By observing the swallowing process and observing the mind during this process you may find the reason and be able to calmly stop.

the original post is here.

http://www.dharmapunx.com/msg/post.a...727&FORUM_ID=4