I think FMP has a good point there with the donation. Just take it to the shops though, don't let the vulture companies pick them up (on commission) or the thieves that steal stuff out of the donation bins. (can't stand them!) Ideally you don't want to give into the obsession as it will only makes things worse but until you can control it, someone might as welll benefit.

Well done for holding onto the hoover, that shows you can confront the fear. Yes, you can resist it, you've just proved it. You need to have faith in yourself and keep going.

I've read a paper on the pitfalls of ERP that was useful and seen a TV programme (briefly) where contamination is raised in them. The paper explained how you take the patient through the hierarchy (or ladder) from the least to worst fear. Then you take them one step on the ladder further beyond their fear to do something a normal non anxious person wouldn't do. For contamination it mentioned how this might mean putting your hands on the inside of the toilet. I've seen that on a programme too. It must sound horrible but it's only when someone has worked through a list of progressively difficult exposures to ensure they can achieve it so you are much more in control & stronger at this point. A bit like that floating %50 note really.

Do you think you could use that hoover on a small patch of carpet somewhere in your house? Even if it is somewhere you rarely go or use? How does it make you feel? Can you expand on that patch a little bit at a time until you have done the room? How do you feel now? How do you feel being in there through out this?

That might be a way to try to work through it but it's just a quick thought, you need proper guidance.