Thread: Blood phobia in child age 8

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Blood phobia in child age 8

Fab reply above! I can't add much more to it, except to say that there is the issue that your daughter will be having periods starting in the next few years...and I'm sure for that reason you are aware that she will need some way to tackle it now. It is an extreme reaction in one so young, and it would be interesting to try and work out the trigger. I've just done a bit of googling on it, and there are some self-help phobia sites (obviously with your daughter being so young it would need to be you implementing the processes).....also....how about looking at the self-help books listed on this site and seeing if there is one that could be applied to a young child? Whilst I do see where your GP is coming from, I think your daughter's reaction is extreme and does affect her life considerably, and has done for an extended period of time, so some therapy for this phobia seems appropriate. Some ideas listed here...

https://www.healthline.com/health/hemophobia#treatment

Re: Blood phobia in child age 8

Thanks Carys! I am also concerned about periods, as some of her peers are already talking about them with their parents, and I really don't know what to say if she asks me about them? I need to be honest, of course, but I'm worried about making her fear them starting - that could really cause a 'bigger deal of them'!
    Thank you for going to the trouble of googling - I've been doing the same, but looking for something kid-specific seems to be a problem. Thanks for the link, I'll have a look at it now.
    What I was really hoping for was to speak to an adult who has out-grown the phobia, who can just let me know if they needed any help, or if they just got better in time?
    Thanks again

Thread Information