Page 88 of 384 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098138188 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus worries?

Re: Coronavirus worries?

Quote Originally Posted by Panicattacka View Post
    You don't lockdown whole cities and millions of people and send in in 4 army divisions' worth of military doctors and nurses and then build 13 emergency hospitals for a bit of flu. Something extremely serious happened in Wuhan and none of us can just afford to ignore this
    Yes, you do, because the flu, a virus we know a lot about, kills a half million people a year. Why let a similar, but unknown and possibly a little more dangerous virus travel the globe and add another million a year to that total if you can possibly stop it, or at least delay it until treatments or vaccines are developed?

It's serious, but also not. Like the flu.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Panicattacka View Post
    You don't lockdown whole cities and millions of people and send in in 4 army divisions' worth of military doctors and nurses and then build 13 emergency hospitals for a bit of flu. Something extremely serious happened in Wuhan and none of us can just afford to ignore this
    But what about outside there? Should we all be worrying when nothing much is happening outside of Wuhan?

Something may have happened there and that's for them and those who can help them such as WHO and the politicians of other countries.

Outside of Wuhan the impact has added a handful of flu cases to a much larger indigenous flu outbreak, one that happens every year, and the authorities are doing a bit of cleaning of places these people have been for infection control purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    I have to say, there's a whole lot of non-health-anxious people who aren't in the least worried about it, not to mention a bunch of health anxious people like me who recognise that even if it does spread, the vast, vast majority of people will come through unharmed.
    In the UK the current run of storms has caused far more problems and actually killed more people. Or we can worry about a flu virus on the other side of planet earth being controlled by various authorities very successfully...other than the media telling us...

COVID-19 deaths this year - 2,629
    Seasonal flu deaths this year - 72,705

Nobody's forcing you to read them. Besides, the Daily Mail's just a comic for elderly racists

Loving the Italian army mask...

Soldiers and egg always go so well together

This is not an overreaction reply (by that i mean me being overreacting or totally irrational) just stupidly I feel slightly triggered today by Coronavirus, I stumbled across an article which called the virus Virus X which was predicted to at some point manifest and million people would succumb to the virus?!
    Part and parcel of my trigger was a conversation with my dad who had informed me at my bros boarding school a child was turned away as he lives in Milan in the holidays as they were returning from half term.
    Deep down i believed this would start to slow down, and i pray and hope that Italy is just a blip in the middle of all this.
    My only other concern is I am a smoker and it is a known fact that someone who smokes gets a cold or flu ten times worse than none smokers, if I were to quit smoking how long would it realistically be until my lungs heal and i would be stronger to fend off a flu or cold like illness?

Apologies I am feeling triggered and avoiding all news sites currently for my own sanity except this has just set off a little flame in my brain...I want to restore my confidence over this fear again

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixess View Post
    This is not an overreaction reply (by that i mean me being overreacting or totally irrational) just stupidly I feel slightly triggered today by Coronavirus, I stumbled across an article which called the virus Virus X which was predicted to at some point manifest and million people would succumb to the virus?!
    Part and parcel of my trigger was a conversation with my dad who had informed me at my bros boarding school a child was turned away as he lives in Milan in the holidays as they were returning from half term.
    Deep down i believed this would start to slow down, and i pray and hope that Italy is just a blip in the middle of all this.
    My only other concern is I am a smoker and it is a known fact that someone who smokes gets a cold or flu ten times worse than none smokers, if I were to quit smoking how long would it realistically be until my lungs heal and i would be stronger to fend off a flu or cold like illness?

Apologies I am feeling triggered and avoiding all news sites currently for my own sanity except this has just set off a little flame in my brain...I want to restore my confidence over this fear again
    quitting smoking is never a bad thing!! But, just remember it takes time for that to make a noticeable difference in your overall health. I quit smoking a little over 10 months ago. At the time I downloaded an app that tells me what organs will have improved and what diseases I’m less likely to have now. In 10 months time, my risk of heart disease has gone down by 84%, risk of lung cancer down by 8%, and heart attack by 5%. All I’m saying is, yes - definitely quit smoking because that would be awesome for your health. But, it won’t create a miracle overnight. That being said, your risk of coronavirus is so, so minuscule. Like not even enough for you to concern yourself with. Follow standard protocol for hygiene and you’re good!!

Quote Originally Posted by glassgirlw View Post
    quitting smoking is never a bad thing!! But, just remember it takes time for that to make a noticeable difference in your overall health. I quit smoking a little over 10 months ago. At the time I downloaded an app that tells me what organs will have improved and what diseases I’m less likely to have now. In 10 months time, my risk of heart disease has gone down by 84%, risk of lung cancer down by 8%, and heart attack by 5%. All I’m saying is, yes - definitely quit smoking because that would be awesome for your health. But, it won’t create a miracle overnight. That being said, your risk of coronavirus is so, so minuscule. Like not even enough for you to concern yourself with. Follow standard protocol for hygiene and you’re good!!
    Thank you glassgirlw!

You see thats what astonishes me about when you quit smoking how it knows how it lowers your risks of things like the ones you mentioned, I'm going to really try and have a think about getting on this!!
    thanks again youve helped alot!!

Page 88 of 384 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098138188 ... LastLast

Thread Information