Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to gp, what do i say???

Going to gp, what do i say???

Hi
    Well I've finally decided I will go to the GP and tell him about my anxiety and hope to be referred for some sort of therapy, (dont want meds). However when I get in his surgery I dont know what to say, where to start, etc. Now I getting worked up about that, what if he doesnt take me seriously. What did you guys say when you visited your gp?

Re: Going to gp, what do i say???

When I first plucked up the courage to go to my GP for the first time I felt exactly the same. Most of the GP's I've seen made things a lot easier than I thought and it was nowhere near as bad as I expected.

On the second apointment I wrote lots of notes down about how I was feeling so I didn't forget to say anything. That helped a lot, as I'm usually a mess by the time I get to my GP after sitting in the waiting room and getting worked up about it before I go. You could give that a try and take the notes along with you.

One of my irrational fears is that people won't understand how I'm feeling as it's hard to describe sometimes and I usually look 'normal' on the outside, but so far this hasn't happened.

You'll be fine, best of luck,

Jim

Thanks jim, yes I look Ok on the outside and a previous visit to the docs with palpitations I told him I thought it was anxiety and he said I didnt appear overly anxious! I'm good at putting on a brave face and hiding it, I dont want to appear weak!

He won't see you as weak Debs, just someone who's ill just like most of his other patients. Don't be afraid to tell him exactly what's going on and he'll take it from there.

Hi there

Write it all down in the form of a letter and give it to your GP. Write down all your sypmtoms and how long you've been feeling like this. Also write that you're very good at putting on a brave face but that's not how you feel inside. Give this letter to your doctor and explain that because you're so anxious you had to write it all down. Don't worry about giving the doctor a letter as they get letters like this all the time.

Hope this helps a bit,

Lexxie

Hi Debsi - theres no need to be afraid of your GP. They're there to help you, and they will be able to help. I believe the statistics are around 20% of GP visits are for anxiety and related symptoms - just think for every 5 people in the waiting room one will be seeing the GP for something similar.

I had a problem getting everything out when I went to see my GP - I wrote notes and went through them one by one with my GP. My first GP didn't really understand what I was going through, like the one you have visited. Just ask to see another GP if you're part of a practice.

The second GP I wrote a letter to just like Lexxie said. But he was so understanding and knew exactly where I was coming from I didn't even need to use it and we talked at length. We decided on a course of action which is working like a dream.

I wouldn't dismiss meds altogether either. I'm currently on the waiting list for CBT and my current meds are helping while I move up the list for the CBT I requested. I'm not on any long term meds and they have made a huge difference to my anxiety.

Also in my borough you can self refer - so even if you don't come away with the referal you want, phone your local primary care trust, find out whose responsible for their CBT / assessments and refer yourself.

I hope all goes well for you.

Krakers.

Thanks for all the help everyone
    My GP has listened at length to my mum who is also an anxiety sufferer but I mainly went for my palpitations and its only the last couple of months and especially after finding this site that i realised that it is anxiety i have.

Krakers
    What meds are you on? I really dont want anything that interferes with driving (its part of my job) or with having an alcholic drink (i do have a social life which i am desperately trying to keep ). The doc gave me Propanalol but I didnt want to take it after reading the side effects. I decided that i wouldnt let the worries take over my life and I think I'm doing pretty well, but after having a panic attack a couple of weeks ago, maybe I do need a little extra help.

Debie

Read up about the National Institute for Clinical Excellence NICE guidelines for anxiety and panic which we have links to under 'therapy' on your left.

Familiarize yourself with the options that should be made available to you.

Think about what you want from the meeting with the doctor and go in armed with questions and suggestions. Doctors mostly respond better to people who are informed and willing to take responsibility for helping themselves as they are likely to comply better with treatment plans.

Don't leave until you have negotiated and are happy with the plan you've agreed to

proactiveness, positivity, persistence, perseverance and practice = progress

Hi Debsi - my doctor gave me Chlordiazepoxide - its a member of the benzodiazepine class of meds. He told me I was OK to drink on these but only because I am trying to reduce my alcohol intake as it has become a primary problem in controlling my anxiety. They are also prescribed for alcohol withdrawal. I am an exception rather than the rule - you shouldn't drink on meds, plain and simple.

I could tell you all the horrible things alcohol does to your body (I got a 2 page factsheet from the docs infact). Surely its worth giving up for a little while until you get your anxiety under control ?

Others may tell you how drinking on meds is ok, drink in moderation, just have a few glasses / pints etc. Its this thinking that led me from moderation to excess and into a dependency on alcohol as I self medicated to keep the anxiety away. I'd like to say I was the exception here again, but theres a lot of people out there using alcohol to self medicate, and its a destructive path.

You can still have a social life without drinking - I've been out every night for the last 3 nights and haven't felt alienated by not having my usual 10 pints.

Propranolol is a beta blocker - one of its primary actions is to slow down the heart rate and prevent rapid heart beats as a response to too much adrenalin. It should certainly help with your palps. It can however make you dizzy or light headed, so not the best combo when driving.

If you're due any holiday, you might consider taking it for a week and see how it makes you feel. Don't forget everything listed in the potential side effects of meds is to cover the pharmaceutical companies ass - it doesn't mean that you'll get them all just by taking the med. I only ever read the "contraindications" section of the leaflets I get with my med now (to make sure I'm not mixing with anything potentially dangerours) as I'd be too scared to take anything if I read all the side effects.

Krakers.

Krakers and Meg thanks for the advice, Meg I have read the nice guidlines and it would seem that CBT is the primary treatment for panic and anxiety disorders, which was what I wanted to hear. So I think I will push for that and avoid the meds. Krakers - I appreciate that you had a problem with alcohol but I really dont. I have the odd glass of wine once or twice a week which I enjoy (not for its self medicating effect). I work in a hospital and many of my patients have alcohol addicition and so I see what it can do to you. But dont worry like I said I really only have the odd glass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information