Page 314 of 384 FirstFirst ... 214264304312313314315316324364 ... LastLast
Results 3,131 to 3,140 of 3831

Thread: Coronavirus worries?

Re: Coronavirus worries?

Quote Originally Posted by Toby2000 View Post
    I don't mean it literally. I mean, nothing is getting better and it's painful
    You are too used to just sitting there, Toby. Sitting there when you could be actively helping others in your area who are less advantaged than you. You could do some shopping for people who can't leave their house? Yes you would expose yourself to supermarket germs but so does everyone else and it's called trying to make the best of things in a difficult situation.

Quote Originally Posted by anxious_dan View Post
    Yesterday I had a "no news day". I can confirm a no news day helps- a lot!
    Sure, it feels important right now to check news constantly due to all the daily updates, but much of it is the "daily death count" and how "things are just getting worse and worse". Strangely when you switch it all off, it becomes possible once again to simply stop, breathe, calm down and focus on something else for a little while.
    I can certainly confirm that. When, many years ago, I used to get posted abroad temporarily for work I found that never watching news did lead to a considerable improvement in mood.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I've seen quite a few elderly people out and about. I imagine that if they live alone then any daily contact with people is worth taking the risk in their minds?

My son is coming home next week..Not sure how I will be able to get all the food in for him if there's none on the shelves..He's on 3 meds, 2 of which are appetite stimulants and has been used to stoking up on toast for "snacks" between meals!
    Speaking for some I know they have little choice, pulisa. One of my dad's friends tried Tesco online delivery to be told it would take 3 weeks to deliver their shopping. Some supermarkets are refusing new customers online. A get messages from Tesco with having a Clubcard and their CEO is telling people to start shopping more in store to free up slots.

So we are keeping mum in as much as possible as she has COPD. Dad has to go out though to get shopping and medication. We are trying to change to online for the little things they do as they are out to cut down and I get what I can for them to keep them in too. But a big shop is where we need the online service and it's just dead in the water still.

I hope your son is ok. You must be very worried about him coming home and if he needs more emergency support right now? I hope they reassure you that they are ready if you need them.

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    You're quite welcome to try some of my 'valerian root' Terry. I've not used any but like to grow the plant on account of its attraction for bees and other pollinators. If you're using netting for the fence you could always consider a climbing plant. A fast growing clematis montana would love weaving its way through that. I understand the issue with the bird feeders. We often get the sunflower seeds starting to germinate where they've been dropped by the birds.

We heard news last night that a chap just along the road was admitted to hospital with a fever and breathlessness. We know the couple and had their two leather sofas about a month ago. I do hope he's ok because he's a decent bloke and it just shows its on our doorstep now.
    We would be zonked out on sun loungers in your garden, fishman

Yes, that's why we are training the privet across that area but a clematis is a good idea. We have 3 of them climbing up trellis along our side wall and up an arch in the back garden. They have nice flowers on them too. On the arch we also have a passionflower which quickly grew all over the top and gives beautiful flowers. I will see what my dad fancies doing.

It does bring it home more as you hear about local cases. I hope he is well. Breathlessness can be very scary. I remember when I had pneumonia and the relief when they put me on an oxygen was amazing.

Glad to hear your dad is doing better. You were worried about the slurring issue but wouldn't they have assessed that and determined he was ok? Has it gone now perhaps? I bet he can't wait to get out of there. I'm sure you will do what you need to until he is back on his feet despite how it makes you feel with worry, it's who you are putting family first, fishman.

Fat chance of that, Terry. Community support was patchy when the community actually existed and the home treatment team were a joke...Not that they will be visiting anyway. I mustn't allow the anticipatory anxiety get to me although I am terrified.

It must be such a worry for you with the shopping. It can only be hoped that a decent priority online system can be set up for older customers asap. Your Mum must be protected as much as possible and you and your Dad are obviously doing your very best. Anyone with any decency would give up their online delivery slot for someone in more need and unable to physically get to the shops whereas the slobs who just can't be arsed to get their own food hoover up all the availablity.

Fat chance of that, Terry. Community support was patchy when the community actually existed and the home treatment team were a joke...Not that they will be visiting anyway. I mustn't allow the anticipatory anxiety get to me although I am terrified.

It must be such a worry for you with the shopping. It can only be hoped that a decent priority online system can be set up for older customers asap. Your Mum must be protected as much as possible and you and your Dad are obviously doing your very best. Anyone with any decency would give up their online delivery slot for someone in more need and unable to physically get to the shops whereas the slobs who just can't be arsed to get their own food hoover up all the availablity.
    Thanks, pulisa. It is tricky doing things for the best at the moment. I consider myself very lucky I'm not in one of the worse areas or having to use public transport like the tube where you have little chance of keeping away from people. My dad is more worried for my mum and what we could bring in but will do what he has to and fuss about over her. I am worried about this too like anyone and just hoping it doesn't hit us. The rest of the time it is easy to stay away from people and the streets around here are deserted since the lockdown. I hope they get the online side sorted so we can use it through the coming weeks where the virus is ramping up.

We have had one of those vulnerable people letters from the NHS but I suspect it's because they are elderly because she has mild COPD hence won't be on that at risk list where they will support people. Like many of us it's just muddling through doing the best you can.

Did you see the story of the elderly man who hadn't eaten for 10 days and crashed into a nurse heading home? Lots of respect to her for what she did.

Then I guess unless you need to need to get him back into hospital you are going to be left to navigating a very difficult situation? Remember we are here if you need us. Try to get some time to relax yourself too. I hope your son's meds are helping him now, the poor guy needs some respite from his situation,

I'll join the worried brigade though it gets better if I don't haunt the "news" like a ghost. I have LPR and seasonal allergies and March is prime time for those here. So, I have a little cough that ranges from wet to dry,a runny nose in the AM and the usual irritated throat with lump, but no fever. Pretty sure that the cough is half allergy/reflux and half psychogenic ( not my favorite word). But, I have an elderly mom, a DH who just turned 60 and a disabled son with severe autism/epilepsy, so none of those factors tend to soothe me. I honestly think that my LPR is somewhat due to internalized stress due to my usual set of genuine concerns regarding my son/family. Covid-19, you are not helping!! Our city is sheltering at home; we have about 15 cases in our town; the state itself has quite a few.

But....like y'all, I know that worry will pay me no dividends. I had to go to the grocery store because many things aren't available online ( sold out, etc.). So, you do the best you can. Hope everybody here gets through and then we'll return to our usual anxiety! LOL...

My grandma's husband (I suppose my step-granddad, though I've never met him) is dying alone (because of COVID-19) in hospital from lung cancer

I need to start counting myself lucky because I obviously at this point don't have bowel cancer (I hope) but I don't feel like I'll survive this pandemic, or I feel like one of my parents or grandparents will die. So, like everyone else, I feel pretty hopeless

You are too used to just sitting there, Toby. Sitting there when you could be actively helping others in your area who are less advantaged than you. You could do some shopping for people who can't leave their house? Yes you would expose yourself to supermarket germs but so does everyone else and it's called trying to make the best of things in a difficult situation.

At least new systems have now been put in place in supermarkets with tape lines on the floor for queuing, and notices throughout each store reminding customers to keep a 2m distance from each other. At our local Co-op they now have a security man hovering around near the entrance of the store who is probably helping to keep tabs on things and yesterday there were quite a few packs of toilet rolls on the shelves for the first time in almost a month!!

At least the wetter and colder weather that has been forecast for the next few days or so will probably keep more people indoors a bit more, so far less of a temptation to go out and about and risking both the possible catching and/or further spread of the virus.

Page 314 of 384 FirstFirst ... 214264304312313314315316324364 ... LastLast

Thread Information