Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Outrage over historical films, TV shows, songs, etc.

Re: Outrage over historical films, TV shows, songs, etc.

Lencoboy, I don't think anyone is going to erase your culture. I say this gently, as something to self-reflect on, but perhaps do you think your fear of things changing, and perhaps others' fear of things changing, has been what's kept some racist cultural items intact?

I can only give an example from my country, as I don't live in the UK, but let's use the movie "Gone with the Wind." It's a movie based on a historical romance book. While the primary story is the relationship of the two main characters, the secondary story is the change in the environment of the antebellum to the post-civil war South. It's this secondary part that's the problem. The change has a negative connotation because it causes the main character to move from wealth to poverty. It's also romanticized. The main character views the past through rose-colored glasses. It doesn't show what it was like for those not in power. Does this mean the movie is racist? Yes and no. The romanticism of the antebellum by the main character isn't really because she would have felt that way. However the black characters that are in the movie are caricatures. They're not really given any depth and we never see truly what they've had to face.

Here's why the movie can be dangerous. If someone who was ignorant and uneducated were to watch this movie, they could easily believe that the antebellum South should be romanticized...they might believe that was actually how things were. They might not believe that slavery was so bad.

I use "Gone with the Wind" in my classroom to explain to students why some people in the South in the US like to keep the Confederate flag up and why many of them say, "The South shall rise again." The kids don't understand why anyone would want to keep symbols that represented slavery. And I have to show them "Gone with the Wind" to explain to them how some of these Southern people have romantic notions of the antebellum. Only after I show the first part of that movie, do they understand how those people think.

So I agree with the decision to take the movie down until a message of historical context and a warning can accompany the movie.
    Last edited by AntsyVee; 17-06-20 at 17:08. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Lencoboy, I don't think anyone is going to erase your culture. I say this gently, as something to self-reflect on, but perhaps do you think your fear of things changing, and perhaps others' fear of things changing, has been what's kept some racist cultural items intact?

I can only give an example from my country, as I don't live in the UK, but let's use the movie "Gone with the Wind." It's a movie based on a historical romance book. While the primary story is the relationship of the two main characters, the secondary story is the change in the environment of the antebellum to the post-civil war South. It's this secondary part that's the problem. The change has a negative connotation because it causes the main character to move from wealth to poverty. It's also romanticized. The main character views the past through rose-colored glasses. It doesn't show what it was like for those not in power. Does this mean the movie is racist? Yes and no. The romanticism of the antebellum by the main character isn't really because she would have felt that way. However the black characters that are in the movie are caricatures. They're not really given any depth and we never see truly what they've had to face.

Here's why the movie can be dangerous. If someone who was ignorant and uneducated were to watch this movie, they could easily believe that the antebellum South should be romanticized...they might believe that was actually how things were. They might not believe that slavery was so bad.

I use "Gone with the Wind" in my classroom to explain to students why some people in the South in the US like to keep the Confederate flag up and why many of them say, "The South shall rise again." The kids don't understand why anyone would want to keep symbols that represented slavery. And I have to show them "Gone with the Wind" to explain to them how some of these Southern people have romantic notions of the antebellum. Only after I show the first part of that movie, do they understand how those people think.

So I agree with the decision to take the movie down until a message of historical context and a warning can accompany the movie.
    I'm not necessarily fearing change per se, I'm just peeved that all of a sudden certain things that most people previously didn't give a second thought to are now cursed, particularly a breakfast cereal that kids have enjoyed for donkeys years suddenly being disdained.

How about going the whole hog and banning Mr. Brain's Faggots to appease the homosexuals of this world who so far (AFAIK) haven't even appeared to bat an eyelid over said dish that's also been around for donkeys years.

BTW, I'm not acting as an apologist for gay-bashers as I deplore homophobia just the same as racism.
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 17-06-20 at 19:43. Reason: Typo

Maybe it would be better if they were re-named, though, given the way that the word has shifted in meaning. Language evolves as we do, it's a fluid thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    I'm necessarily fearing change per se, I'm just peeved that all of a sudden certain things that most people previously didn't give a second thought to are now cursed, particularly a breakfast cereal that kids have enjoyed for donkeys years suddenly being disdained.

How about going the whole hog and banning Mr. Brain's Faggots to appease the homosexuals of this world who so far (AFAIK) haven't even appeared to bat an eyelid over said dish that's also been around for donkeys years.

BTW, I'm not acting as an apologist for gay-bashers as I deplore homophobia just the same as racism.
    Well, I think the names should have been changed a long time ago. But they weren't because unfortunately, I think it's taken this long for the masses to recognize unconscious bias. That's why it might seem "all of a sudden" to you. But yes, I think the Mr. Brain's Faggots should be changed.

I'm a proudly woke snowflake, and that image is obscene.

Well, I think the names should have been changed a long time ago. But they weren't because unfortunately, I think it's taken this long for the masses to recognize unconscious bias. That's why it might seem "all of a sudden" to you. But yes, I think the Mr. Brain's Faggots should be changed.
    Perhaps you're right, given that our language constantly keeps evolving over time, a name change may be a more logical compromise over banning the actual products outright.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    I'm a proudly woke snowflake, and that image is obscene.
    Absolutely BlueIris, and a grave insult to the good and genuine Black people of this world, who not only defy the long-standing negative stereotypes of said ethnicity, but also far outnumber the not-so-good Black people, who are historically and woefully over-represented by the media. MLK was a highly influential and inspirational figure who should be celebrated, not insulted and villified through extremely childish memes like that!!

Give credit where it's due.
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 17-06-20 at 20:13.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Quite right! Plus, they're horrid anyway. A no-brainer

Never Surrender, Comrade

What exactly are they? I know they're pork, so I've never eaten one, but are they like Spam?

That has been known about for a long time now and has been involved in the argument. People were asking why is the word being banned when it is valid for a product? It's not new.

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread Information