Page 10 of 116 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Gardening Thread

Re: Gardening Thread

I think a lot of the lily family have crystal-like structures that act as a deterrent to herbivores. Or cats?! This species is very common in hedgerows here in the UK and has those properties https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arum_maculatum

Yes aconitum has other names than monkshood. Wolfsbane and Leopardsbane being two, ancient hunters would coat their arrowheads with sap from the plant to poison their enemies. A gorgeous plant though https://www.seasonalgardening.co.uk/...s/aconitum.asp

The problem is, cats aren’t herbivores; they’re obligate carnivores. So I’m always afraid they’ll take a chance on them. They chew on plants to induce vomiting of their hairballs.

Those are beautiful lilies.

Yes, here they call aconitum Wolfsbane. But I don’t think it grows in California. I have seen it in our Midwest and back East.

In California I think our worst plants are poison oak and oleander. People mistake the oleander for plumeria and wind up quite sick.

Here is a pic of my bush lily blooming last January
    8EB82732-93D5-408B-87FC-6B47B68A0E8E.jpg

Brilliant, just typed out an extensive post and its disappeared into cyberspace

Anyone have a fountain in their yard? Advice? tips? Pics? I’m thinking of putting one in.

What are you thinking of doing? Fish pond? They can look nice as centre pieces and you can going them up with lights if you want too.

We haven't got one but with have got a pond with a waterfall down from the next level of the garden. Being a history teacher you will appreciate what was there before when my dad bought the house - an Anderson shelter!

No, no, I don’t have the room for a fish pond. Just an above ground fountain because I enjoy the sound of running water.

I hate those old air raid shelters and tornado cellars! It’s a claustrophobic’s worst nightmare!

I dug up my front garden about 2 months ago. It looks like a state again. Weeds everywhere, weed bushes have grown back even though I pulled them out at the root. I've honestly had enough of this front garden. I took it down to bare soil and in 2 months its back to how it was before. That's not normal.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

D41C0767-7636-4330-AD42-549349227114.jpgYou can buy this already assembled,just get someone to hook up the water

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    I dug up my front garden about 2 months ago. It looks like a state again. Weeds everywhere, weed bushes have grown back even though I pulled them out at the root. I've honestly had enough of this front garden. I took it down to bare soil and in 2 months its back to how it was before. That's not normal.
    Have you gotten a lot of rain?

The week I was in the UK, it rained 4 of the days I was there :S

Page 10 of 116 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread Information