Poppy, that exact same thing happened to our dog a couple of weeks before Christmas. It was awful. We didn't check temperature so not sure about that. He was asleep then got up whimpering then started to bark hysterically. Then he was pacing around the house for about 30 mins until he calmed down. And outside. He didn't seem to know what to do. He did know us but was having a panic attack.

We called the emergency vet who said to try to calm him down and book in with our usual vet first thing. If he won't calm down they would see him to give him something.

He has been losing wait in recent months but that can be age and we had just changed his diet. My GF had weight loss with cats and dietary change sorted it.

We thought it might have been his worm & flea treatment as it was given 24 hours before and others online have had the same. He's on a large dog dose (just over the minimum weight) but his weight loss put him into medium. The vet disagreed.

So he checked him over and did a blood test. Some elevations connected to liver and kidneys. Then a urine test which found traces of blood and protein. Last week he went in for a bile fasting liver test and a feed and repeat test. The results were liver enzyme issues. The vet said liver problems can cause these fit like episodes.

So he has advised a med and we are awaiting them. The tablets won't be easy with our dog either. He said a scan could check for lumps on the liver if we wanted. We decided to start the meds for a week, re assess and decide on the scan. They said at his age they wouldn't bother an intrusive examination.

I will be really interested how it goes for your dog. I was hoping it was the wormer but now you've had it too the vet must be right. It really was scary, I've never seen him like that.