Quote Originally Posted by Dee62 View Post
My Dr prescribed me propranolol 10mg to take as needed but also said I could take 2 up to 3 times daily. So far I mostly only take one but yesterday I yook a second one after about 3 hours. I feel reassured when I check my pulse as it stays around 64 - 72bpm now. However, the awful feelings of extreme panic don't seem to abate.
beta-blockers such as propranolol have little if any effect on the anxiety centres of the brain so do not ease anxiety/panic in the way antidepressants and benzodiazepines do. Their main effect is to block the adrenaline fuelled physical symptoms of the fight-or-flight response component of panic attacks. Some are able to cope much better if the fight-or-flight response is diminished, but it doesn't help everyone and this seems to be the case for you.

Also propranolol has a fairly short half-life, only about 4 hours so it usually needs to be taken 2-3 times a day to maintain its effects.

My heart feeld like its beating all over the place, out of synch, which makes me feel worse. I hate it.
This isn't uncommon and is usually harmless, but can be very disturbing.

I called the Dr yesterday morning to ask if someone could call me back as I had a couple of questions I wanted to ask. Receptionist called back to say doctor told her he was too busy to call and I'd have to try again on Monday.
Sigh!

I've had a 34 hour holter monitor in March and an ecg about a month ago and all appeared normal, as was the blood test. So why on earth do I feel so rubbish nearly all the time?
Anxiety can be a huge drain on the body as well as the mind/brain.

I can't even drive to work on my own anymore, my husband comes with me, drives home, then comes back later for me. Should I perhaps take 20mg propranolol in the morning? I just don't know what to do for the best.
You can try upping the dose to 20mg, or increasing the frequency of the 10mg doses, however, it sounds like the severity of your disorder is such that propranolol is of only limited usefulness and meds which target the biological cause rather than treat its symptoms are a better option as would be therapy if it is available (both antidepressants and the cognitive, behavioural (CBT, REBT, etc), or mindfulness therapies change the brain via the same biological process).