Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Low GFR

Re: Low GFR

Quote Originally Posted by pb View Post
    Can anyone help?
    Hi pb, i used to be a assistant practioner in a urology clinic so i know a little bit about everything , so one EGFR test is not the end of the world, you need a series of them done 2 or 3 at best, mine was low once then next test bounced back up.
    The human body is a funny old chap really, you see we have these these lab values that are a snap shot of the population, and we call normal the ones in a bracket lets say with EGFR it is 90> this mean anything above 90mmols is normal range, but lets say the guy or girl below the reference range the lab uses stays at 80 for the rest of their life and this never causes an issue, EGFR is a good tool but that is all it is, and it can be affected by many things, body mass, hydration, electrolyte balance to name a few, gold standard is a 24HR urine test, but i digress you are not at that point yet as a repeat may show you bounce back up . Google is an idiot, and the american health organisation is unlike the NHS dependant on selling poeple medical treatment, procedures, and meds, they pay Google vast sums of money to put medical information without taking into consideration patient history at the top of searches, so stop the Googling as it doesnt know your background or very very unique anatomy.

I hope this helps, and get the test done .

God Bless.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_lyrical_h View Post
    Hi pb, i used to be a assistant practioner in a urology clinic so i know a little bit about everything , so one EGFR test is not the end of the world, you need a series of them done 2 or 3 at best, mine was low once then next test bounced back up.
    The human body is a funny old chap really, you see we have these these lab values that are a snap shot of the population, and we call normal the ones in a bracket lets say with EGFR it is 90> this mean anything above 90mmols is normal range, but lets say the guy or girl below the reference range the lab uses stays at 80 for the rest of their life and this never causes an issue, EGFR is a good tool but that is all it is, and it can be affected by many things, body mass, hydration, electrolyte balance to name a few, gold standard is a 24HR urine test, but i digress you are not at that point yet as a repeat may show you bounce back up . Google is an idiot, and the american health organisation is unlike the NHS dependant on selling poeple medical treatment, procedures, and meds, they pay Google vast sums of money to put medical information without taking into consideration patient history at the top of searches, so stop the Googling as it doesnt know your background or very very unique anatomy.

I hope this helps, and get the test done .

God Bless.
    Thank you for your reply, I am going to have the blood test.

Well done. Just bite the bullet and get it done. You've had a very helpful and informative reply from Ben who obviously has far more working medical knowledge than Dr Google.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Well done. Just bite the bullet and get it done. You've had a very helpful and informative reply from Ben who obviously has far more working medical knowledge than Dr Google.
    Thank you

Finally went back to the drs and saw another gp. She said my gfr is only slightly low. I didnt have the follow up blood test but will have one in 6 weeks. I've now got iron tablets for my anemia.

Well done for going back and for getting a face to face explanation which I hope has helped your fears about the GFR result?

The blood test in 6 weeks will be more to look at the anaemia after taking the iron tablets, presumably? I hope you feel better mentally after the appointment and treating the anaemia could well improve things all round x

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information