Thread: High BP - some words of wisdom if you have any

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: High BP - some words of wisdom if you have any

Hi!

I'm very much where you are now - we're the same size and very anxious. I'm sort of in awe of you for even getting to a doctor, to be honest.

I think what you need to focus on is the "high but not alarming" reading. Chances are your BP is much lower when you're not in a state of stress. I had mine read yesterday - don't know the numbers because it's one fewer thing to stress about - and I was told it was elevated, but expectedly so given that I was there because of anxiety issues.

I would bet cold hard cash that you're in the same position.

Re: High BP - some words of wisdom if you have any

Thanks so much for your kind and quick reply BlueIris.

Yes rational me says those really high spikes are under stress and that I have high BP that needs treatment that means when it goes up it really goes up but I don't need to walk around like I might collapse at any time. Just need to treat it. But unrational anxious me....you know the drill, I am sure.

Then I have this slight feeling I am taking up the nurse's prexious time by not just getting on and reading it but the sight of a BP monitor freaks me out. I hope a baseline from there today that might reassure me the meds are working might help over next few days. Basically am not mad keen on medical testing being my responsibility or in my home. I prefer it to be more compartmentalised. I think my anxiety about it might be worse than my white coat hypertension!

I've really wanted to attack my health anxiety head on. My nature is avoidance so it's work to do it but the avoidance was work too and the older you get the less effective it is which is what I could tell me younger self! Doubt she would listen. I was also lucky not to be too ill when yoing so I just don't have the practice with all this of that makes sense.

Thread Information