Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Riot fears

Re: Riot fears

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    There have covered the the anti semitism march. I think the numbers at the free Palestine AKA we aren't condemning the barbaric actions of Hamas might be seeing the numbers reduce. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad if you saw the interview with the two idiots who didn't understand the Hamas attack took place and how hostages, including small children, had been taken by the lovely government of Palestine (the worst enemy of any Palestinian who wants real freedom).

Robinson was supposed to be there, not because of the Jewish community who are experiencing a lot of hate right now, but because of is anti Islam stance. Hopefully he didn't spoil it for them.

EDIT: spoke to soon about the idiot Robinson.
    But it still got significantly less media coverage than previous likewise events over recent weeks.

Having said that, it's probably a good thing if they're not giving that loser (and has-been) Robinson as much attention that he's no doubt craving right now and probably also trying to reclaim his former glory.

Apart from a tiny minority of knuckle-dragging numbskulls, thankfully hardly anyone takes that odious man mega seriously anymore, at least not if they have any semblance of sanity.

Yaxley Lennon got some attention, as he was told by the police that the organisers of the march didn't want him there.
    Turned up and duly got arrested and carted off.

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum123 View Post
    Yaxley Lennon got some attention, as he was told by the police that the organisers of the march didn't want him there.
    Turned up and duly got arrested and carted off.
    Good job an' all!

Let's hope the authorities actually grow a pair and make him actually face the music for his misdemeanours and don't just let him off scot-free.

I know this is just a random musing and not in response to any current events nor specific threats (apart from the events in Georgia yesterday, which is far away from Britain of course), I've been thinking this morning that at the start of almost every year post-2011, certain media journalists have predicted summers of rioting here in England, which (touch wood) have so far not happened to materialise.

In various other countries through the world (also post-2011) there have been numerous 'disturbances'; some on the face of it possibly even worse than what we had here in England back in August 2011.

Although I'm glad that such events have hardly happened here since 2011, I'm also at the same time rather surprised, especially as the powers that be have been known to frequently ride roughshod over us over the same time period, but up until now most of us Brits have seemingly just taken a lot of the crap thrown at us on the chin to the point where a lot of us simply can't be @rsed to even exercise our democratic rights to vote in elections anymore, even long before all the current voting ID lark.

In fact, unlike in much of mainland Europe, us Brits hardly ever seem to partake in the ritual May Day riots anymore; which we did back in the early 2000s. Or perhaps we still do, but such events might be lower-key these days, and/or at least kept lower-key by the media if they still actually happen here at all.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in any way gagging for riots of any sort to happen in this country right now, nor do I wish to tempt fate in any way, but at the same time I'm just kind of baffled as to how such events barely seemed to have happened since 2011 despite all the potential triggers and conditions for them still being as prevalent as ever.

My keyworker at my day centre reckons the events of August 2011 were pretty much a 'one-off', and hardly the start of a profound malaise of our society, which I recall was largely predicted by the media at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pain View Post
    Lencoboy, if you are given in-depth reasons in answer to your query, would that stop you periodically mithering about this subject? Well here we go with a reply generated by https://deepai.org/chat to my presentation of the question (in red).

Since 2011, here in the UK there have been very few full scale civil disturbances that could be truthfully referred to as "riots". Is this because there are no longer serious concerns to anger the public, or is it due to suppression of militancy by the authorities and law enforcement agencies?

The reasons for the lack of full-scale civil disturbances in the UK since 2011 are complex and multifaceted. While it's difficult to pinpoint a single cause, several factors have likely contributed to this trend. Here are some possible explanations:

1. **Reduced social unrest**: The UK has experienced a relative period of economic stability, with low inflation and steady growth, which has reduced concerns about poverty, unemployment, and economic inequality. This has led to a sense of stability and reduced tensions.

2. **Shifts in social and economic issues**: The UK's social and economic landscape has changed since the 2011 riots. Issues like austerity measures, public sector cuts, and debates around immigration have been prominent, but they have not necessarily triggered widespread unrest.

3. **Improved community engagement**: Efforts to improve community engagement, community policing, and social cohesion initiatives have been implemented in various areas, which may have helped to reduce tensions and prevent the escalation of small-scale disturbances into larger riots.

4. **Increased surveillance and policing**: The UK's law enforcement agencies have become more sophisticated and proactive in monitoring and responding to potential hotspots. This includes using social media analytics, intelligence gathering, and targeted policing strategies to prevent incidents.

5. **Changes in youth culture**: The demographics and attitudes of young people in the UK have changed since the 2011 riots. There may be a shift away from the types of gang culture and territorial rivalries that contributed to the disturbances in the past.

6. **Alternative forms of protest**: In recent years, protests and demonstrations in the UK have often taken on more peaceful forms, such as online activism, petitions, and peaceful gatherings. This may be a reflection of changing societal attitudes towards protest and dissent.

7. **Government policies and initiatives**: The UK government has introduced various policies aimed at addressing social issues, reducing poverty, and promoting community cohesion. These initiatives may have contributed to a decrease in tensions and reduced the likelihood of large-scale disturbances.

8. **Suppression of militancy**: While it's difficult to quantify the impact of law enforcement agencies on suppressing militancy, it's likely that their efforts have played a role in preventing the escalation of small-scale disturbances into larger riots.

It's important to note that while full-scale civil disturbances like the 2011 riots may be rare, smaller-scale protests and disorders can still occur in the UK. The authorities continue to work to prevent and respond to these incidents, while also addressing the underlying social and economic issues that can contribute to them.

Fair enough? I’d agree with most of that.
    Thank you very much for painstakingly expending your time and effort to explain this report to me, Pain. Some very interesting schools of thought mentioned there, even though the odd one or two might be debatable at worst.

I've definitely noticed that youngsters in general seem to be tamer now compared to the period up until 2011, although of course we still get the knife crime stuff, which of course has ebbed and flowed between about 2003 and now in terms of being a serious social issue, plus the general economy has also ebbed and flowed over the same time period.

Like I said earlier today, perhaps the media have also toned such things down a fair bit since 2011, and tried to keep such issues lower-key in order to lessen the risks of escalation (self-fulfilling prophecies, and all that).

I suppose the same could also be said for terrorist attacks as well, which (touch wood) have also seemingly become less frequent on the British mainland over the same time period, in spite of prolific examples like 7/7 in Central London, 2005, Manchester Arena, 2017, to name but a couple.
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 15-05-24 at 15:54.

Psst! He didn't expend his time and effort, Lenco. He openly said that he generated it via AI. Not against that, mind, but I work with AI on a more or less daily basis and for now at least, it's only really of use in the company of a human proofreader.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Psst! He didn't expend his time and effort, Lenco. He openly said that he generated it via AI. Not against that, mind, but I work with AI on a more or less daily basis and for now at least, it's only really of use in the company of a human proofreader.
    I did actually get wind of the AI thing eventually.

But nevertheless Pain did still kindly go out of his way to pursue such answers especially for me in the first place, of which I am extremely grateful, even if they may not all be 100% correct.

You're a good soul

I had a gander at that Deep AI site this evening after tea with a few queries on certain other issues that have worried and concerned me for quite some time, and it does look like there's the odd inconsistencies and contradictions here and there, but then again the likes of Wikipedia and others have also been known to be a bit ropey on occasions in terms of accuracy.

Though I guess there will always be room for improvements as the Deep AI site/medium develops and progresses itself further over the coming years.

As I say, my workplace is getting heavily into AI as a time-saver. It's always made clear - and I make it clear when training people - it's only ever a jumping off point, and the creation of a piece of text or resource is where human input begins.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread Information