Diazepam can be very effective if they're Not taken every day. If you take them every day, you'll find the effects wear off and so the dose will be increased with little benefit and you'll become addicted to them. When you then try to come off them, your anxiety will shoot through the roof because your body will react unless the reduction is Very slow.

When I was prescribed them, I wasn't warned about the addictiveness of them and was left on them. After the dose had been gradually increased over 3 years I decided I want to come off them but it then took me 6 months to get off them. If I reduced too quickly, my anxiety levels became much worse.

They're fine to take on the odd days you need them because I found they are a good sedative but I really wouldn't advise that you should take them daily. I'm a little surprised your doctor prescribed them when he must know how addictive they are.

My wifes mother has taken them for depression for so many years now, she has been advised by her doctor to never attempt to come off them purely because of the withdrawal symptoms that will result, so please be very careful. They will only ease your symptoms but not tackle why your anxiety is so bad.