Hey there

I was scared of them for years and getting greally bad when I was diagnosed with a thyroid condition and needed regular tests to keep me in good health.

I admit it wasn't easy, but I dealt with it myself in the end. I still get nervous, but the best thing you can do is find a doctor or nurse you trust. My GP knows I'm scared, so he always does them for me which really helps as I hate going to the hospital to get them done. If they are done properly you really don't feel much at all, although I'm sure if your like me it's more the thought of blood being sucked out of your veins than any pain.

I've had a LOT of blood tests in my time, and only one was what I'd call a 'bad experience': I freaked out and fainted because my blood was sticky and wouldn't come out, and this made me shudder and panic. Later, I found out that the only reason this had happened was that I had been drinking a lot of alcohol and not enough water the days before the test (just after xmas!) so I was totally de-hydrated. For this reason I always advise anyone who's scared to drink loads and it'll be a lot easier.

Weirdly, the one thing I really *can't* get over is the sort of blood test they do by pricking your finger. I completely will NOT have this done. It's often only a pin prick test that is needed, but I hate them so much that I've actually persuaded drs in the past to take blood out of my vein instead. I'm sure many people would be completely the other way, but the main thing is knowing that you can be in control of these situations.

So I guess what I'm saying is if there's a way of doing it that you prefer, or someone you trust who can do it, it makes it a LOT easier.