Thread: So endoscopy is inevitable, please help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: So endoscopy is inevitable, please help

Hi hope your feeling better now? when do you get your results ?

I have all these symptoms - I see a gastroenterologist on wednesday having tried to avoid doing so for 2 years! I know my symptoms mean I have to have endoscopy and with a fear of vomiting, I am petrified, but resigned that I now have to have it as I cannot go on like this. My anxiety is horrendous just waiting for the appt. I have acid reflux even though I am on omeprazole. I get burning, bloating, feeling like something is stuck just above my stomach. Pain under ribs on left side, sort of burning/stinging pain and look like i am 9 mnths pregnant a lot of the time. Nausea and burping etc etc.

I HATE is so so much as i am just feeling anxious/sickly everyday as well and to top it off am also emetophobic (this just seems to make everything worse) i have canceled the endoscopy twice because of my phobia but i really need it done i don't think i have stomach cancer or anything i no its just gonna be to much acid or something but why do we have to suffer everyday...
    do you find you feel sick everyday ?? i do & i hate it of i get a tight anxious sickly knot feeling in my belly as well everyday !!!!
    I hate the pregnant look as people stop me in the street who i no and will ask me am i pregnant
    I have had loads of tests ultrasounds/ x-rays/ bloods etc all came back clear well i did find i am intolerant to wheat but i havent eaten that in over a year i have been gluten free but i still get all the symptoms so i dunno what it can be ????
    i just hope that sppn i will find out my doc has booked me another endoscopy but i am having it under general anaesthesia as i was just awful when i went there for my 2nd appointment i just cried so much and explained about my phobia of vomiting even the doc said i was to distressed to have it done xx

Re: So endoscopy is inevitable, please help

Awww honeypie, your symptoms are exactly the same as mine. I get them at different times sometimes only one symptom, then that is replaced by another sometimes 2 or 3 together. The feeling of something stuck just above my stomach is my most common. Stinging/burning pain just under my left ribs and in the middle there. Also the pregnant thing, seriously i do look like i am 9 months gone most of the time. Nausea at some time every day, without fail! You are right to get the endo, but so good you are getting the GA. I will insist on this if i have to get another and I felt exactly the same desperate to get some help so resigned myself to having it done. Tell them about your emet and ask for stemtil with your GA, it works wonders and I have always been fine after a GA, in fact its a great feeling, just blacking out and coming round when its all done, the relief is immense. You will be fun, I promise, its such a short procedure you wont need much anaesthetic, so you will feel fine anyway.

Thank you Dahlia and yes, I am so glad its over, but nervous about the results and if my gastritis will get worse and make me sick all the time. Typical emet eh?? Now I know there is a reason, I feel more fragile. Wish I didnt know really because I am on the same treatment just more of it, but then I will probably never be able to come off it. I dont know maybe gastritis is often found on endoscopy or maybe they tell you something like that so as to give a reason for soing the sndoscopy in the beginning, I dont know, but I dont like any of it. I told the doctor of my fears and I think she was really mean not to give me more sedation if the max dose is 5mg. I am tall 5 10 and weigh about 11 1/2 stones so I would need a big dose I am guessing. What was wrong was that she only gave me the sedative about 30 seconds before shoving the scope down my throat. Didnt wait to see if it worked or if i needed more. Just got on with it. I think that was wrong because although its over with quick, I will never have another now unless under GA, no way and now I dont trust doctors at all, because I was told I would not know about it at all by several of them. Also, if I was awake, surely I could have been given a chance to "swallow" the cam myself, instead it was just forced down, my tongue is all scraped and red raw and I imagine my throat is the same seeing as that is really sore and swollen too! For an anxiety/depression patient I dont think it was very kind. xxx

Thread Information