Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Thread: MS Concern now Severely Impacting Life

Re: Seriously believe I have MS, at 15

So no update - all this help and now nothing. Makes you wonder why we bother trying to help sometimes
    I SO associate with this feeling, you feel totally 'used'. Although I understand ankietyJoe's statement (and in essence agree with it) I just wish we knew in advance those who are worth engaging with and those who aren't. I think that it speaks volumes about the OP and their attitude to other people, a LOT of growing up to do to become more emotionally intelligent.

Everybody who needs help is worth engaging with imo. I don't come here for reward or appreciation. I come here because when I was literally terrified I was dying, some people helped me see more clearly. I just want to pass that good will on. When you are terrified, you probably will just take, that's fine.

Helping other people is it's own reward tbh.

I like your attitude ankietyjoe, but it becomes draining and tiring giving help, time after time, with nothing ever given back, not a thanks or anything. Maybe I am just more 'human' in my flaws, but common courtesy and respect for others is something that I think has a place in all personal interactions (no matter how scared/terrified you are/were).

It's a little frustrating I agree, but I think some people are so caught up in the 'flight' that it doesn't occur to them at all. It's not a character flaw really, it's just the nature of why we're all here.

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    I like your attitude ankietyjoe, but it becomes draining and tiring giving help, time after time, with nothing ever given back, not a thanks or anything. Maybe I am just more 'human' in my flaws, but common courtesy and respect for others is something that I think has a place in all personal interactions (no matter how scared/terrified you are/were).
    This has been discussed many times. Personally, I agree but I believe its a combination of the extreme self absorbent nature of HA and the medium of an internet forum. I think you'd get a response in real life. The OP is 16 and I believe its safe to assume all is well and its not MS. Keep in mind he had a thread about STDs and stated he's a virgin so....

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 30-03-19 at 13:17.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: MS Concern now Severely Impacting Life

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    So no update - all this help and now nothing. Makes you wonder why we bother trying to help sometimes
    Doesn't surprise or shock me, Nic. However, it would have been helpful to others reading this thread to have known the 'outcome'. Sadly, we didn't need 24 pages of repeating ourselves to have helped others in the same situation as Joshua. 5-6 pages would have sufficed. But he kept coming back more and more "convinced" and insistent he had MS. Moreover, towards the end he wasn't interacting at all - only documenting symptoms and repeating his self-diagnosis until he finally decided to seek a "professional opinion". Then he conveniently vanished.
    Perhaps Joshua will indeed make a fine politician one day

Never Surrender, Comrade

He's got all the "qualities"!

I really don't see the value in critisising the OP for not being grateful enough.

Whether he/she was being irrational or not (which they clearly were), they were also clearly terrified. We've all been there. On my worst days it was all I could do to log in and check responses. Interacting with people, even online, left me feeling more anxious and mentally exhausted.

Helping altruistically is always the way to go in my opinion. I hope the OP has found some kind of peace.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    I really don't see the value in critisising the OP for not being grateful enough.

Whether he/she was being irrational or not (which they clearly were), they were also clearly terrified. We've all been there. On my worst days it was all I could do to log in and check responses. Interacting with people, even online, left me feeling more anxious and mentally exhausted.

Helping altruistically is always the way to go in my opinion. I hope the OP has found some kind of peace.

I think it's the burnout some folks get. It's just a human side effect of having to constantly help and help and not getting any thanks. Ever seen service/retail workers? They go through something like this. I think if you notice it as a pattern of behavior then you shouldn't take it too personally - it's frustrating, I know, but this place has been here for years, so if you're a veteran that lack of followup can get to you.

I made it a point to try to followup threads, even months old ones because I realized it gives reassurance to those who are suffering the same symptoms so when they inevitably Google it, they come here and see many people who were in the same boat.

I hate to pull up an old thread but I'm actually suffering major MS fears myself (nerve pains all over the place, weird facial numbness and vision that goes from ok to good and back, etc.) and I can understand this kid's behavior. Take note, unlike us older folks, when you're his age you already think you got everything figured out - couple that with the irrationality that Health Anxiety gives you and you can bet it'll make you argumentative and self-obsessed. I know I act like this when I get a HA fear and I'm twice this kid's age.

This long thread is actually a good documentation for those fearing MS, you get to see the thought process of an HA sufferer who fears something that is a very common HA fear (MS, with the other being ALS) and you get to read the posts by people trying to help him out that you may be able to apply to yourself. Glad a thread like this exists and glad so many people at least tried to give him a chance.

How did it all turn out OP? I find that there are so many people on here with the same fear and I have been severely anxious of having MS going on 3 months now.

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Thread Information