Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Comedians that wouldn't be allowed on TV today

Re: Comedians that wouldn't be allowed on TV today

I was just looking at the 'Comic Relief 2024' thread on Digital Spy and there were the typical remarks from certain FMs there about how boring and unfunny said event has been compared to what it was years ago.

The irony is some FMs on DS by the same token have been known to harp on about certain 'veteran' comedians also being boring and unfunny (both then and now), pretty much regardless of all the 'non-PC' stuff; whether for, against or 'on the fence'.

Although I've never really been that bothered about the likes of Comic Relief, etc, per se, I do wonder if many people have become more boring themselves over the years as they seem keen to point out what's wrong with many shows and TV programmes in general (both current and historical), whose potential 'flaws' would have usually passed unnoticed by most people in the past.

Are we just too fastidious and 'know-it-all' armchair experts nowadays?

I never saw the attraction of Mrs Brown's Boys.

Loved Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, Not the Nine O'Clock News, The Young Ones, Blackadder, and many, many more. Oh and 'Terry and June', they were absolute cutting edge comedy, full of dark satire and razor sharp, anti-establishment wit.

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    I never saw the attraction of Mrs Brown's Boys.
    There was also 'Little Britain' as recently as the 2000s which is also now considered non-PC for today's audiences, as actually admitted by its original writers.

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    Loved Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, Not the Nine O'Clock News, The Young Ones, Blackadder, and many, many more. Oh and 'Terry and June', they were absolute cutting edge comedy, full of dark satire and razor sharp, anti-establishment wit.
    You're not wrong, Fishman.

I suppose the other dilemma is the writers/producers can only up the ante so far until they run out of fresh and original ideas and inadvertently run the risk of being over-reliant on extreme shock value and the like, which many eventually start to find tedious and OTT.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    While actually a film by a comedy 'group' rather than standalone comedians, I also bet Monty Python's 'Life Of Brian' certainly wouldn't be commissioned in the current climate, especially as its dialogue contains some anti-Semitic (Jew-bashing) lines, plus various other non-PC lines that were already highly controversial back in 1979 when said film was first released.

Mind you, there's certain barbaric scenes in said film that I certainly find cringeworthy and rather triggering myself, such as the death sentences by stonings (due to blasphemy) and when the film's central character Brian is before the 'court' and is 'thrown to the floor' and smacked around the head roughly then manages to do a runner while the rest of the court people in said scene are embroiled in fits of hysterical laughter at various 'innuendo', and not forgetting the crucifix scenes at the end of the film where they're singing 'Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life'.
    I also recall watching its follow-up film 'The Meaning Of Life' (which was also 'Python's final 'proper' film) some years back that we recorded on VHS tape when it was aired on TV back in the early 90s and now find it mega cringeworthy, especially the restaurant scenes with Mr. Creosote vomiting all over the place and the scene earlier in said film where one of the characters had an internal organ removed against his will in his own home without general anaesthetic with blood flying everywhere!

Horrible, horrible film, and sorry for the TMI for the faint-hearted on here!

I like bits of Meaning of Life, but not all of it - I can't watch the Mr. Creosote scene.

Life of Brian is one of my favourites, though, it carries such a powerful message about human decency in the face of religious dogma.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    I like bits of Meaning of Life, but not all of it - I can't watch the Mr. Creosote scene.

Life of Brian is one of my favourites, though, it carries such a powerful message about human decency in the face of religious dogma.
    I bet the Mr. Creosote restaurant scene in 'TMOL' would be one of many of the worst nightmares of serious emetophobes.

It really freaked me out when I first watched it as a teenager, despite it being totally fictional.

Ditto for the aforementioned liver extraction scene earlier during said film, which I probably feel even more grossed out over now than ever before, especially considering it's barbaric in the extreme.

I personally would take great pleasure in tossing that film into hell!

See, I don't feel the need to wish things I dislike out of existence. Besides, if art challenges us it's not always a bad thing.

See, I don't feel the need to wish things I dislike out of existence. Besides, if art challenges us it's not always a bad thing.
    OK.

I agree BI. As I've stated on other threads by Lenco, the thoughts put into writing due the mental health aspect is apparent. Lenco, I truly mean no disrespect and I get how the forum is a positive being able to put into writing what your anxious mind feeds you, but in the big picture, these aspects of society are truly not that concerning as to allow it to occupy our minds to the point of seeking reassurance. If you're looking for affirmation if anyone else has felt this way, I think every one of us could give an example. But do we allow it to dominate our thoughts? No

I hear what you're saying but it's certainly not a 'make or break' aspect of our lives.

FMP
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 20-03-24 at 22:56.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread Information