Thread: Cold and agitated

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Cold and agitated

It actually numbs the physical anxiety. That as a huge positive for me, as I've felt the anxiety in my chest ever since I was a kid. But not anymore. Even that small of a dose does it. I was not on 150 for very long as I could not stand the dry mouth. Also forgot to mention I'm on trazadone. Been on that a couple months. Had all the symptoms before the trazadone

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeymc3 View Post
    It actually numbs the physical anxiety.
    By "physical anxiety" do you mean the adrenaline surge of the flight-or-flight response manifesting as tremor, racing heart rate, sweating, etc?

While clomipramine is a moderate a1-adrenoceptor antagonist, I suspect any improvement you're seeing from 25mg is more from the placebo effect.

Antidepressants have no direct effect on anxiety, or depression in the way say aspirin has on a headache. They work by stimulating the growth of new brain cells (neurogenesis) to replace cells killed, or prevented from growing by high brain stress hormone levels. The therapeutic response is produced by these new cells and the stronger interconnections they forge, not the meds directly and 25mg is unlikely to be enough to sustain neurogenesis.

Even that small of a dose does it. I was not on 150 for very long as I could not stand the dry mouth.
    Did you take 100mg for any length of time, i.e. more than 2 months? If so, were you able to tolerate it and was it effective?

Also forgot to mention I'm on trazadone. Been on that a couple months.
    What are you taking this for, insomnia? At what dose and do you take it every day?

Took 100 for about a month and couldn't tolerate the side effects. Like I said before, 25 and 100 felt the same. And yes the traz is for sleep. By physical anxiety I mean the tingle feeling I used to get in my chest. In the same way people complain about feeling numb in the genitals, it does that for physical sensations of anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeymc3 View Post
    Took 100 for about a month and couldn't tolerate the side effects. Like I said before, 25 and 100 felt the same.
    That's because they were effectively the same. It seems you were never on a high enough dose for long enough to sustain neurogenesis. Antidepressants typically take 3-12 weeks to kick-in from when a therapeutic dose is first take, usually at least 75-100mg for clomipramine. If you can't tolerate the med at an effective dose then there is no point in taking it.

Is clomipramine the first antidepressant you've been on?

By physical anxiety I mean the tingle feeling I used to get in my chest. In the same way people complain about feeling numb in the genitals, it does that for physical sensations of anxiety.
    A low dose of one of the beta-blockers may achieve the same result with fewer side-effects, though it won't do much for the mental anxiety, but then neither will 25mg clomipramine.

Ok thanks

Thread Information