Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emetophobia and GAD

Emetophobia and GAD

Hi, I've just found this website and i'm hoping someone can help me. I've had the phobia of vomitting for about 7 years, and it's tearing me apart. It affects my life in so many ways - don't enjoy going out, hate being in the car, limit what I eat and drink etc etc. I was just wondering if anyone else has this phobia and has any ideas of how to cope with it? I'm really at the end of my tether.

Zoe
    XX

Hi Zoe and welcome!
    I've had emet since i was 6 or 7. I am now 31.

SarahC

Have you found anything useful to help you cope with it? I'm running out of ideas!

Hi Zoe

And welcome, lovely to see you here, i hope we can be of some help,

Here are some post that may help.

Emetophobia
    EXPOSURE THERAPY...
    To Emetophobia sufferers
    1st day CBT exposure for emetaphobia = scary
    A visit to the Doctors
    CBT for emetophobia my experiences...
    Emetaphobia 101

love

Andrea
    xxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

Hi Zoe,

Welcome to the site.

This phobia is very common and was wondering what treatment you have sought? Push your GP for therapy such as CBT.

Take Care,

Ray

http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
    ~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Hi Zoe,

A big warm welcome to you.

Take Care

Mandyxx

Hi Zoe,

Welcome, as you are finding out...you are not alone in here. Whilst I cant relate to ematophobia I do know there are lots of people who can.

You already have some useful pointers for info and posting in here about your experiences will help you and others.

take care

Iain

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

After the recent news of Norovirus that I found purely by accident while switching channels last night, I have come here for support and a shoulder to cry on. I honestly can't take this anymore. I'm 47 years old, I have 4 children and 3 grandchildren, but I feel like the biggest baby on the face of the earth. Every year when some kind of stomach thing goes around, I go into hiding in my room and refuse to eat until I am sure it's gone from our area. I feel like I am constantly shaking inside. It's impending doom that's eating me alive. Knowing that no matter what I do, I'm going to get it and it frightens me to my very core.
    I have been known to buy cans of lysol and spray it while breathing it in to ensure that I am breathing "clean" air. I have bought so much hand sanitizer that there are bottles all over my house. I just can't stand living like this anymore. I feel like a prisoner. I never go anywhere and if I do, I stay away from people. I don't like eating food from restaurants because you never know where their hands have been and whether they washed properly or not. My family is patient with me, but I hate putting them through the whole "Stomach flu alert" thing several times a year. And now the VERY worst part is that I have passed this fear onto my 10 year old son. He has watched me freak out so many times that he himself panics if the word "sick" is mentioned in our home.
    And why is it that doctors can't hand out some pills that stop vomiting when it goes through an area? I mean, I don't want to wait until all 9 family members in my house are sick everywhere and then I get it and have to go sit in some germ ridden waiting room for hours before I can get that "magic" pill to end my panic. Why can't they give them to families where at least one of them has it, knowing that the rest will eventually get it? It's not like it's some sort of pain killer that people get addicted to. I just don't understand it. I want relief from my fear, from my pain, from my anquish. I want to know that if someone here in my home gets it, I can rest assured knowing that if I get it as well, I can just pop that pill and while it may hit the other end, nothing will come forth from the "panic zone". I guess it just bothers me that doctors seem to hand out so many really wickedly addictive meds, that everyone I know is taking SOMETHING all the time to ease their pain/stress/sickness, but God forbid I should ask that our home be prepared for a horrible outbreak of Norovirus or Gastroenteritis or WHATEVER "IT" is that makes us wretch and wish we were dead.
    God, I just want relief from living like this, from panicking and totally losing control. I want to feel NORMAL. I want to go out places and not see every darn person I come in contact with as a potential "germ". Is that asking too much?

RootVetWife

I can only sympathize with you on this one. I wish I could make myself vomit. Maybe I would lose some weight.
    Not to make light! I know that you will have a lot of great support here.
    Sheryl

Sheryl

Always expect a train.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information