Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else worry about blood clots in the leg all the time??

Does anyone else worry about blood clots in the leg all the time??

Does anyone else out there worry about this? It’s my current obsession. Like I can’t quit checking my legs to see if one is bigger than the other. It’s driving my spouse nuts!! Help! Does anyone else do this??

Re: Does anyone else worry about blood clots in the leg all the time??

Went through that a year or so ago when I had an achy calf for months; had a constant low-level worry about DVT.

It went away in the end, for what it's worth.

OP, no offense but I don't think that you know much about DVT. DVTs are tremendously painful, plus your leg will double in size and be hot to the touch. If you need to "check" for DVT, you don't have it. I hope that helps!

None taken! I appreciate you taking the time. I’m actually an oncology nurse so I think that doesn’t help my HA. I tend to obsess over things.

Having said that, I know you guys are right. I have no other symptoms just the obsession to check for it. Thanks for the replies.

Wow, what an incredible job to have! I don't think my HA would ever let me do that, I'd be convinced I was dying in about half a minute!

Yes I’m having to navigate through that. I used to be able to separate and not take it home, but obviously that is becoming harder and harder to do.

BUT I hope to spread some of my knowledge to people on here. I can help others easily just have trouble helping myself.

Quote Originally Posted by WPSNAT_811 View Post
    I’m actually an oncology nurse so I think that doesn’t help my HA. I tend to obsess over things.
    As a nurse, you've studied these things in school. You know the reality and facts about many medical issues. Knowing the facts and reality, what is it in your mind that throws all that out the window? I'm just curious as to the mindset and train of thought that feeds this fear.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I know. And I do use my training to squelch my tendency to panic sometimes. Then sometimes I can’t override the fear no matter how hard I try.

I think it’s that in my career, I see a lot of exceptions. I’m trained to assess and get to the bottom of things. So anytime I feel anything in my body, i overthink it. I see A lot of illness, so much that you begin to think that it’s normal. Really, realistically these terrible things that we all obsess over on here are not normal, they are all very rare. Even cancer—-so, I think it’s just over-exposure to illness, death, and the dying. But I still want to be a servant to those in need, even though it’s terribly hard at times.

This is a thought provoking question that I’ve asked myself many times. I need to learn to use my faith and give up the notion that I’m somehow in control of anything.

By the way, your sticky about ALS has saved me a million times. So thank you for your encouragement on these threads.

I know. And I do use my training to squelch my tendency to panic sometimes. Then sometimes I can’t override the fear no matter how hard I try.

I think it’s that in my career, I see a lot of exceptions. I’m trained to assess and get to the bottom of things. So anytime I feel anything in my body, i overthink it. I see A lot of illness, so much that you begin to think that it’s normal. Really, realistically these terrible things that we all obsess over on here are not normal, they are all very rare. Even cancer—-so, I think it’s just over-exposure to illness, death, and the dying. But I still want to be a servant to those in need, even though it’s terribly hard at times.

This is a thought provoking question that I’ve asked myself many times. I need to learn to use my faith and give up the notion that I’m somehow in control of anything.

By the way, your sticky about ALS has saved me a million times. So thank you for your encouragement on these threads.
    Thank you for the reply and kind words. Your reply offers a lot of insight and it truly is a thought provoking subject. I guess that's what therapists and psychologist/psychiatrists delve into in detail. There is a trigger somewhere deep in the mind that causes the spiral to begin. Identifying it and finding ways to stop the subsequent reaction is a key to preventing it from happening. I found that to be true with the depression I suffered after my illnesses. I engaged in certain thought patterns and behaviors that perpetuated the cycle. Identifying them helped me eliminate them and now that I know what they are, I can effectively quell them should they arise.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    As a nurse, you've studied these things in school. You know the reality and facts about many medical issues. Knowing the facts and reality, what is it in your mind that throws all that out the window? I'm just curious as to the mindset and train of thought that feeds this fear.

Positive thoughts
    I am not an OP or a nurse, but I have worked as an oncology scientist at the large cancer center for many years. For me personally, knowing the facts does nothing to calm my HA. My brain selectively emphasizes on the negative facts and throws away the positives, thinking that I certainly won't be that lucky. That's the irony of it, I actually understand how rare are most of the feared diseases, I have that perspective. When it comes to others, I can perfectly apply the facts to reality. But when it comes to my own stuff, my brain gets totally hijacked thinking that I will be an exception.

---------- Post added at 11:31 ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 ----------

I see A lot of illness, so much that you begin to think that it’s normal. Really, realistically these terrible things that we all obsess over on here are not normal, they are all very rare. Even cancer—-so, I think it’s just over-exposure to illness, death, and the dying.
    Yes, I agree with this completely. For me, every work day for 8-9 hours a day it is all about cancer. Everything is about cancer, everybody gets cancer, the world revolves around cancer. For you it is even worse, you SEE these things while I read, write and talk about them. Naturally, we get overexposed at some point. Some people just deal with it better than others. Although there has to be a reason for a high suicide rate among physicians....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information