View Poll Results: How Many Of Us Are Able To Work?

Voters
980. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fulltime

388 39.59%
  • Part Time

224 22.86%
  • Not at all

368 37.55%
Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: How Many Of Us Are Able To Work?

Re: How Many Of Us Are Able To Work?

Quote Originally Posted by ladybird64 View Post
    Just to clarify, it is your belief that EVERYONE with a mental health problem is capable of work?

Yes. Assuming you are not a danger to yourself or others. It is the best therapy assuming you go for a job that rewards you and you learn to see the rewards.

soulboydk - No one said getting back in to the labour market would be easy. You just have to build it up slowly. Only apply for jobs that fit your needs ( not too stressful) Helping others is a good start.

My brother is wheel chair bound and has no feeling from the waist down. He suffers from deppression because of his situation and blames his family for bringing him in to the world - He works!!!! it gives him a sense of self worth and helping people with a worse disability than him, lifts his spirit.

HE FEELS PART OF THE WORLD...which of course we all need to feel.

Mee
    Last edited by Meewah; 28-01-09 at 22:20. Reason: babbling

Quote Originally Posted by Meewah View Post
    Yes. Assuming you are not a danger to yourself or others. It is the best therapy assuming you go for a job that rewards you and you learn to see the rewards.

soulboydk - No one said getting back in to the labour market would be easy. You just have to build it up slowly. Only apply for jobs that fit your needs ( not too stressful) Helping others is a good start.

My brother is wheel chair bound and has no feeling from the waist down. He suffers from deppression because of his situation and blames his family for bringing him in to the world - He works!!!! it gives him a sense of self worth and helping people with a worse disability than him, lifts his spirit.

HE FEELS PART OF THE WORLD...which of course we all need to feel.

Mee
    Thank you for the clarification.
    It is also worth bearing in mind that those that suffer from mental health problems may have other personal circumstances that prevent them from going out to work, much as they would like to.

i wouldnt consider myself to be well enough educated to be helping people who have serious mental issues i would leave that for the people who have studied and are qualified if you go out giving advice etc. it may totally be the wrong thing.Back to the benefits i do not feel guilty one jot about claiming anything like i said me my dad my grandad we have all paid taxes i didnt ask to be ill and im afraid i think youre wrong in that some people cannot work cannot even leave the house just because you can- think yourself as lucky a) to be in work and b) not to have been soo ill that you couldnt work in the first place. For those who are well enough i strongly believe work or a hobby or something too fill the time constuctivly is better than dwelling at home.I hve nothing further to say on this.

Good on you Bluegirl
    Try not to take it personally OK
    Phill

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

I started a new job last september and my anxiety returned big time in the new year. I am dealing with it with Citalopram and still at work and getting through it

Due to 20 years of mental illness, clinical depression, anxiety, panic attacks, agoraphobia, social phobia , substance abuse and loads of meds, in and out of psychiatric units etc, I haven't worked since 1990.

I'm panicking just posting this message.
    Last edited by Auxman; 31-01-09 at 16:01.

Good on you Bob.
    It WILL get easier as you go
    Phill

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

I work full-time as a teacher, and even though I am convinced it was work-stress which triggered my depression & anxiety, it is the only normal thing I am able to do these days. I am clinging onto work these days, if I was at home all day, I'd get worse!

I am terrified of not being able to continue and I have been so close to this a lot lately. I have had 9 days off with anxiety since September, which is more than the rest of my working life combined! There have been several ocassions where I have found work impossible and have thought that I'd be forced to go on long term sick. I am still fighting though, as I believe it is a worthwhile fight. I might only be hanging on with my fingertips, but at least I am still hanging on.

I can't work at all. My panic shows itself as really bad nausea and a feeling of doom. Plus I also have social phobia so don't talk to anyone outside of the house unless I have too. Would love to be able to work, I crave a normal life but at the moment it's impossible

We all have are own way of dealing with things. I am the same as shortstuff, I feel as if I was at home I would be "different" if I am not different enough already and part of the problem , for me, is that feeling different is a good chunk of the problem. I have to fit in to society or risk isolating myself further. Psychologically I would create more problems for myself by being at home. Sometimes I do think that I could do to be at home but as I am self employed I can govern the stresses.

One size does not fit all. Wouldn't life be boring if we were all the same.

Mee

Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread Information