Thread: Scared of Thunder and Lightning!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Scared of Thunder and Lightning!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboyuk View Post
    I just shake if it's really over head, that's
    why I count now the number of seconds from flash to rumble try it, it may offer you some comfort for eg if I count 5 seconds then it doesn't bother me atall now as it's not over head but 25 miles away Cheers
    Errrr.... at 5 seconds, it's one mile away.

Speed of sound ~ 330 metres/second

One mile = 1600 metres.

1600/330 ~ 5.

I was terrified of storms as a child: my great-aunt would turn mirrors and cover cutlery when there was one - but I slowly grew out of it until when I was eighteen and some friends and I went train-spotting in my car (I'd just passed my test). It was a lovely hot summer day, but the weather turned and a storm was getting closer and closer - we were up on a bridge over the railway line. A mate and I decided to go shelter in the car when, as we were walking towards it, a lightning strike hit a telephone pole a few metres away. We both hit the deck in what felt like slow motion...

That scared me for a long time, and eventually I started to get better until one windy January night, I was sitting with my wife when all of a sudden the room lit up blue and there was the most deafening BANG! It was an overhead strike; I was already cowering and my wife got up to look out of the front door as I thought it was a gas explosion. As she looked out of the door, a strike came down somewhere, blinding her temporarily. When I got her sat back down, I noticed our telephone answering machine's tape was running very slowly, with flashing lights and general strange behaviour (like something out of the X-Files, which was contemporary at the time). It had been damaged by EMP - I fixed it and got it mostly working again (a lot of dead transistors) but the pulse had fried the memory chip so it never stored phone numbers again.

I can cope with a storm about a mile or two away now, and I still have fond memories of watching one rage from the top floor of the Peachtree Plaza in Atlanta - the tallest hotel in the city!
    Last edited by Pamplemousse; 15-06-17 at 00:33.

Thread Information